You are here :> About NCERT
National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is an autonomous organization set up in 1961 by the Government of India to assist and advise the Central and State Governments on policies and programmes for qualitative improvement in school education. Major objectives of the NCERT and its constituent units are to:
- Undertake, aid, promote and coordinate research in areas related to school education;
- Prepare and publish model textbooks, supplementary material, newsletters, journals and other related literature;
- Organize pre-service and in-service training of teachers;
- Develop and disseminate innovative educational techniques and practices;
- Collaborate and network with state educational departments, universities, NGOs and other educational institutions;
- Act as a clearing house for ideas and information in matters related to school education; and
- Act as a nodal agency for achieving goals of universalisation of elementary education.
In addition to research, development, training, extension, publication and dissemination activities, the NCERT is an implementation agency for bilateral cultural exchange programmes with other countries in the field of school education
The NCERT also interacts and works in collaboration with the international organizations, visiting foreign delegations and offers various training facilities to educational personnel from developing countries. The major Constituent Units of the NCERT which are located in different regions of the country are:
- National Institute of Education (NIE), New Delhi
- Central Institute of Educational Technology (CIET), New Delhi
- Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education (PSSCIVE), Bhopal
- Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Ajmer
- Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Bhopal
- Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Bhubaneshwar
- Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Mysore
- North East Regional Institute of Education (NERIE), Shillong.
For more information on National Council Of Educational Research And Training (NCERT) Click here...
This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer version 7.0 and above or Mozilla Firefox version 3.0 and above on a screen resolution setting of 1024x768 or higher. Requires latest version of Adobe Flash Player.